Quote:

alright, I've got a really crazy question for you Marq. I've heard of guys painting things like viynl door panels, head liners, and convertible tops with auto paint by simply adding a "flex agent" and spraying it on.

I was curious if its possible to do the same with rustoleum and roll it on?

heres an example of what I mean

My first instinct is to say that for durability you would be better off just buying the paint which is actually designed for recoloring vinyl. I think the key here is the durability factor... as the painted surface will be exposed to more 'touching' and hence more eventual wear and tear.

I have used these vinyl paints in the past and they did an excellent job for color coverage and long term durability.

But ultimately, in the end, nothing beats hunting down used interior panels of the color that you wish. In the Mustang Fox world, there was a real hunt on for black interiors. Guys were paying a premium dollar for mint black vinyl interiors. And occassionally you would have some poor dude who would try to paint his gray vinyl over to black - and it just never seemed to work out and last in the long run.

The other option is to take the vinyl parts to an upholstery shop ( automotive or boating ) and simply have them re-skin them with the vinyl of your choice. It cost more but it does ensure you end up with something that looks great.

I ended up taking the rear section of my passenger compartment and having it redone by a boat/auto upholster. For the front door panels, I searched e-bay and eventually bought three sets of gray vinyl trim ( that were all in mint condition... just slightly different styles of the same thing ). For the seats, I also went to e-bay and bought a mint set of leather seats that were literally brand new ( less then 100 miles on them ).

So the point of all that is that even though I had played with the vinyl paints in the past, in the end I ultimately went with OEM used parts and newly re-upholstered parts in order to do the color change of my interior.

Afterall...in the end... your butt is going to be sitting in those seats and looking at that interior for the next x number of years. You might as well do it right rather then a mediocre job that will bug you everytime you climb in the car