Quote:

Quote:

Hey all, I joined here to chat about this DIY paint job ...

...The paint I hope to use (Omni Blue Metallic):

Is this standard automotive paint? If so I see a couple issues.
1.) I don't think anyone here has tried that type of paint yet. No one has tested the self-leveling capabilities of such a paint. As well, you would have to make sure it is a single-stage automotive paint (i.e. NOT a base coat + clear coat system). Even with that, unless you add the catalyst (hardener) like you would when spraying, I'm not sure it would cure properly.

2.) Metallic paint. I don't know if anyone has tried a metallic, but the general thought is that the metallic particles will not say suspended properly as they would with spraying. As well, the wet sanding process will either be hindered by the metallic particles and/or grind them down.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! The subject of using this type of paint comes up every once in a while, everyone says it won't work and then the person asking the question doesn't do it. As far as I know, nobody has ever actually tried it. I've read this whole thread a long time ago, and I can't remember anyone ever actually posting the results of trying this. There are lots of reasons it might not work, but until someone actually puts some time into trying I'm not totally convinced it won't work.

I've sprayed a fair amount of metallic paint, and it's definetly not as forgiving as a solid color, but I think you might be able to find a technique to do this with. I would suggest trying to apply it as "dry" as possible...work as much paint out of the roller as you can before putting it on the car.

As far as color sanding it, I don't think it should be any big deal. I've wet sanded metallic paint before spraying a clear on it without any problems. I don't see why it would buff out any different than any other paint. The metal particles in the paint are microscopic. Metallic paints have been around since the 1950s...I'm sure there were plenty of paint jobs back then that got buffed out too. Adding a catalyst is no big deal...I've used hardener with these alkyd enamels and then put it on with both a roller and a brush. The only real difference is the curing time is miles ahead of using straight paint, and you don't get to reuse your old roller .

If I had *any* spare time at all I would have tried this myself...but I don't. I'm really curious to see it done though. It might come out a horrible mess, but until someone tries it we'll never know. And I really dig the color too!