Quote:

Ok, next question. This is the hood on my truck. I had sanded it to bare metal and shot it with Rustoleum rattle can primer a year or so ago. As you can see now, it has a few spots of rust. I just replaced the left fender and before I put it on, I filled the emblem holes, covered it all with rattle can primer, sanded it good, then rolled it with Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

My actual question is, do I need to resand the hood before I roll it with the rusty metal primer, or can I just roll it as is?

Ok... IF your hood presently has rust stains showing through the spray on primer... then I would resand it down to rid as much of that rusty surface as possible.

I would next go to the canned primer and roll it on. I don't think I would go with the spray can primer, as I don't have much faith in it for truly sealing oxygen from getting to the rust sites. Starve the rust of oxygen and it can't grow or spread.

Then sand that primered surface to get it a nice dull but extremely smooth surface upon which you can lay your coats of paint on to.