While I'm at it - here's a question:

I was originally doing Satin black, but I couldn't get the roller marks to level off well on large panels like the hood and roof. So I gave up and switched to gloss (Rustoleum) knowing that I could sand/buff out any final errors, which I would not be able to do with in a final coat of Satin.

But - I still would really prefer the Satin finish over the gloss. A decent satin finish looks like primer and says "work in progress". I'm worried that a mediocre gloss finish will just say "cheap paint job". And my original goal for the car (68 Charger) was to have more of a rat-rod look, anyway.

Here's my question - I'm at the point where I could do two final coats of gloss and start polishing. If I try (instead) another coat or two of Satin at this point, and I still can't get rid of the roller marks, can I just re-sand and proceed with a final couple coats of Gloss and proceed to buffing? I guess I'm not sure what it would look like during buffing if I burned through the final gloss and got down to my aborted Satin coat. If it would end up all splotchy.

Let me see if I can make that more clear. Here's what I have now:
2 coats satin
sand 600gt
2 coats satin
sand 800gt
2 coats gloss
sand 1000
2 coats gloss
sand 1000gt

If I used Satin for the final and it turned out OK, I'd be done. Otherwise I'd have to do two more coats of gloss and end up with (in addition to above):

2 coats Satin
sand 1000gt
2 coats Gloss
Final Rubbing / Polishing

How likely is it that my final Polishing would go through the final two coats and expose the satin underneath? And could I just keep polishing the Satin layer up to the same gloss as everything else?

Am I even making sense?