Quote:

any tips on spray bombing parts?
I have the rustoleum gloss paint and planned on using it to spray the underside of the hood. The hood is not on the car, so I can position it any way I need to.
Thanks

I referenced this topic before for door jams, undersides of hoods and even the underside of trunk lids, but in short, my suggestion is to buy a spray can of brake cleaner.

This sequence HAS to be done before you start painting or priming the body panels. If the part is off the vehicle you can figure out what to do from this sequence..

So what you should do is

a ) take a high pressure hose and spray the surface down to get rid of any loose dirt or debris that is stuck there. IF your door jam or the underside of your hood looks truly crapped up with dirt and stuff... you could take something like a toilet brush and scrub away at the surface while blasting away at the surface with the hose.

b ) next take your spray can of brake cleaner and spray the entire surface. You will have better success IF the previously wetted surface was dry before hitting it with the brake cleaning spray. If you are dealing with the underside of a trunk or hood... then spray that entire underside. If the part is on the vehicle it would pay to spread some plastic sheets on the respective surrounding body panels to minimize overspray on them. If the part is off the vehicle then you don't have to worry about the overspray.

c ) let the brake cleaner spray sit on the surface for about 20 minutes. It will eat away and loosen any oils, waxes, or other crap on the surface that can be loosened by the solvent in the brake cleaning spray. The reason we use brake cleaning spray is that it can eat away most of those things WHILE not leaving behind any residue like an engine cleaning foam would...

d ) ok... after 20 minutes give the entire surface or door jams another rinsing with the hose to rinse away any of the debris loosened by the brake cleaning solvent.

e ) let it the surface dry thoroughly...

f ) you can now bomb the surface or door jams with your paint spray aerosol and there is no reason it should not adhere properly and look like it belongs there.