Marq,
Thanks for your help. I'll try some of your suggestions and see if I get different results.
I'm going to follow my wife's advice this time: "If it isn't working, quit." I painted the entire front half of the jeep before giving up. I kept thinking the bubbles would lay down but they didn't. Of course, when you finally find a time that you can paint, you hate to go to all that trouble and just paint one fender.

The parts that already had 2 or 3 coats were done at least a couple of weeks ago, so surely it has cured out. Another part of the jeep was freshly sanded down to bare metal. The paint was mixed together over a month ago. I mixed two quarts so I would have the same color each time.
Here's some things I check.
1) I didn't give the mineral spirits much time to dry after I wiped it down. Washed, wiped, and painted. (I was losing daylight fast!)
2) My paint may not have been thin enough. It seemed thin but the bubbles were hard to pop. Even when they popped, it didn't seem to level out.
3) I didn't let the paint set after I mixed the mineral spirits either, I just started rolling.

Now I've got to sand, sand, sand! My jeep looks like alligator skin.
Thanks