Quote:

..back on topic - are you guys using angle grinders to polish your vehicles?

Random orbital polishers... with a preference towards the Porter & Cable model but some good results have been obtained with some of the cheaper models of 'random orbital sanders'.

The problem with angle grinders is that they do not really emulate hand polishing. Random orbital sanders don't just spin around and around in circles... they also shift side to side while spinning. In effect this is like how you would rub or polish if you were doing it by hand. Angle grinders are ideal for ripping and quickly grinding rust off metal surfaces however...

The angle grinder is spinning in circles only. So it is almost natural that it will put circular swirls into whatever surface you are polishing.

Now... I seem to recall some folks mentioning that the angle grinders spin at a higher RPM compared to the random orbital sanders. The word was that this higher rate of spin on the angle grinders would 'burn' the paint or finish because it would be too difficult for the average person to keep the movement of the grinder flowing sufficiently so that one spot doesn't get over revved compared to another spot.

I guess lastly... there are tons of add ons designed for the random orbital sanders especially for the purposes of polishing and buffing surfaces. Whereas I don't think there are too many add ons designed for the angle grinders for the purposes of buffing and polishing ( although I suspect some clever lads have found ways to adapt random orbital sander add ons to work on the angle grinders.

If a Porter Cable random orbital sander is not already in your tool kit or the bucks might not be there for such a useful purchase, then you can go ahead with one of the cheaper random orbital sanders and it will approximate the same quality of finish in the end. The biggest difference between the Porter Cable and the $39 Simonize type buffer/polisher are longevity and user comfort. The cheaper product will die faster and vibrate your arms...

Last edited by Marq; 03/09/08 10:51 PM.