Quote:

I recommend that if the car looks better with a gloss finish, do a gloss finish. If your inadequate body work skills show through, then hone those skills. Don't settle for a finish you don't really want just to try to hide imperfections, because as I said, to the trained eye they will show through anyway and to the untrained eye they would go unnoticed regardless of the gloss/satin finish.

And just to toss my $0.02USD in, a satin or even flat finish works on an old* rat rod, but doesn't work on a Civic for example. Not to say that it can't, just that I haven't seen anyone really pull it off yet.

* where old means ~40 or more years old.

It was more the effort involved with gloss that was holding me back. (I'm cheap AND lazy). I figured that satin hiding imperfections would just be a bonus.

Although, when I bought the car my intent was to just shoot it with primer, since I couldn't afford $5k+ for a paint job. After finding this thread I was able to re-think that, but I was kind of liking the mean/evil black primer look.

I suppose that's all subjective. I think the satin 69 mach1 looks great. And I'm STILL peeved at Quinten Tarantino for stealing my black primer idea for his Death Proof car.

I just have to hope that primered Chargers don't become the "Dukes" cars of the new mellinium (with all the disdain that would be associated with it).