I have been reading this thread over the past 2 weeks. I began on the first thread of 2006, and have decided to take this route myself. I have built this truck for GO, not for SHOW! It gets used off-road a lot, so finding a route that was durable was key to me. Not to mention something I could do in the garage without having to create a paint booth!

As I only own a Mopar when I am sleeping (dreaming), my current ride, a 1985 Toyota 4 Runner got a Ace Hardware's Brand 'Yellow' Rust Stop. Here in Maricopa County we can't buy gallons of Enamel Oil Based paint. I picked up 4 Quarts of paint and 3 Quarts of Rustoleum White Primer. I put down two coats of Rustoleum White Primer first and then wetsanded with 400/800. Here is my results after 2 coats of primer and one coat of paint. Remember, this is just the first coat of paint w/o being wetsanded. I am not expecting it to be glass the first time. Thus far, I am very pleased with the results I have gotten. As others have stated, it's not just in the paint, it's the prep work that makes the finished product! Man, are my arms sore though!! LOL

Please, provide some feedback as you guys are the GOD'S when it comes to this! Thanks 69Charger for beginning this thread! And big thanks to MARQ for posting up so many tips and suggestions!

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures:

Prepped:

Primered:

First Coat Yellow:

The weather has been perfect here in Arizona for this! It's averaged about 92 degrees and 10-18% humidity. I hope to get 6 more coats total. One more coat, then wet sand w/ 400. 2 coats and wet sand w/800. Two more and then wetsand with 1200 or 1500! I am glad I decided to go the white primer route, it really helps the first coat stand out!!

I will keep you posted on the progress for those who like what they see!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 05/05/08 03:09 PM.