Quote:

Has anyone ever tried to paint a school bus with this method? I bought a bus Im converting and it still has the school bus yellow on it, I plan on changing the color to a dark blue or maybe black. Just curious if anyone has tried this on a large scale yet?

Hmmmm.... I guess it is doable... but it would really take a fair bit of time to get completed to a level where you would be proud and the bus wouldn't look like one of those 1960's hippy buses that were obviously painted with rollers and house paint. Even the hippy flower stick ons could not camoflauge it...

BUT big projects are not beyond the scope of the 4" foam roller and the Brightside paint ( and probably the Rustoleum or Tremclad paint ). You have to remember that the Brightside paint was designed for guy who 'roll their boat' - and some of these boats have surface areas larger then a bus.

NOW... if I was going to take on a bus... I would probably spend a few bucks and buy one of those Wagner electric spray guns. Not the wide spray cheapo ones they sell for blasting fences.. but instead one that has a higher pressure rate at the nozzle and a more controlled spray nozzle.
It may take a little more time to properly mask the areas on the bus that you don't want to spray... BUT spraying a bus would probably save you an equivalent amount of time.

AND if I was painting a yellow bus... and changing it over to blue etc... I would probably begin by using a large foam roller ( and an assortment of smaller foam brushes for the smaller niches that might be difficult for the foam roller to cover ). Get a solid primer coat down on the entire bus so that you have a solid blue/gray primer on the entire surface. Properly wetsand it all down after to get its surface well smoothed out. Then move on to your spraying of the blue paint. This will cut down on the number of coats of paint that you will have to spray to get 100% color coverage over to the color of your choice. Overall, the spraying may also cut down on the amount of time you will need to spend wet sanding. If you are lucky you will be able to lay down sufficiently smooth coats that won't need wetsanding. And I would guess spraying would make for a lot easier task when trying to lay down multiple coats of paint on that huge and difficult to reach surface known as 'the roof' ( which is about the size of a small football field hehehhhehe ).

Dunno... that's my first thoughts on painting a bus

Last edited by Marq; 04/03/08 11:52 AM.