Quote:

OK got it. thin is the key. i kinda knew that, but everytime i added MS to the paint, i kept thinking i added too much...i had it had the paint at a 10w-30 oil consistency. (I gotta go back to the fridge and double check low fat milk thickness, lol)

If you've read a lot of the threads, you might recall the "drip test". Put a stick in the mixed paint (like a popsicle stick or something) pull it out, and the paint should run freely for about 3 seconds before it starts to drip.

Also - its helps to mix the paint in a container, not in the try. Take like an empty peanut butter jar, put in two inches of paint, add one inch of MS, stir (not shake) well. That's a good starting point, and you can adjust it by adding small amounts of paint or MS after the drip test.

Quote:

So let me get this straight. In order to go back to original paint, i start with a lower grit, 600 and work my way up to 800? and if 800 isnt enough, take the next step and use 1000? what would be the way to sand, wet or dry?

Right now, you're just trying to get back down to a nice flat (smooth) base coat. You can use 600 grit (dry, btw) to sand everything flat smooth. You could very likely end up sanding off nearly all the black paint you previously applied. Once you have it smooth, then go over it once with the 800 grit to take out the major scratches. You won't need to use 1000 grit before you start the first coat.

I think I actually used 800 grit for my wet sanding the first couple times (between coats 2 and 3, and coats 4 and 5. Two coats, then wet sand, two more coats, then wet sand). Then I finally switched to 1000 grit after coat 6, and 2000 after coat 7.

Last edited by Gus; 01/16/08 03:20 PM.