Quote:

I got my paint/mineral spirits mixture worked out and have been laying down nice, smooth coats on my hood. I just finished coat number five. I'm concerned, however, because I can still see through the paint to where I sanded through the original paint to bare metal in several spots when I prepped the panel. I think it was Exit who referred to the "mahogany" look. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to reach a uniform color. Maybe I should have primed first to make a nice uniform base. If it weren't for the sanding spots, I could almost call the hood done. Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Ian

Well you see, that there is your problem. You are using Country Crock. Maybe switching over to Land O'Lakes will fix this problem?

Actually, I had the same problem you and Exit are having. I mentioned that I was putting on my coats really thin. I was basically squeezing out a lot of the paint before I rolled. After the 3rd coat everything was still visiable benieth. So, I thickened up on the 4th coat and called it a "normal" coat. However, I had a problem- orange peel. Not severe, but enough to compete with a bad OEM job. I would say after I thickened up on the 4th coat things started looking much better. A problem with using a thicker coat is that it doesnt dry as fast. It feels dry to the touch but it will be softer a lot longer than those thin coats. What saved me was the fact that I was painting outside- in the sun. Others have said it was a no-no but in my case I didnt have a choice. A couple times I painted in the shade though or after 6 when the sun was going down- so it wasnt so bad. The metal was warm, etc. I painted my groundfx and spoiler on my patio in the shade and the paint still kind of feels soft and I did 6 layers at the same thickness as the car. When I say it is soft I mean more like a hard soft.. hmm, hope you get the point.

In your case you might have way to much mineral spirits in the paint. I didnt read the rest of the posts yet so not sure if you answered to that yet

I think I have 9 coats on my car and 6 on my groundfx. Paint on the car is super hard .. but comes off easy with an exacto blade.. found that out the hardway .. no fixing that too ...