Quote:

Can someone refer me to a shop or individual who would do a decent job(minor body work) and spray my '69 GTX on a 3-$4,000.00 budget that I have to hold to? Am I way out of line to think someone would do it for this amount? I live approx. 1 hr. north of Detroit. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it in a BIG WAY!! Please p.m. me or call 810-392-3781 Sincerely, Randy Borawski

Noe im sorry I can't refer you to a shop BUT you are NOT way out of line asking that...BUT it will probably take all of that depending on the body work and the prep you can do. Also ask a local Mopar club or go to a car show make some friends and ask them. I got my RoadRunner painted by a guy that was just opening his shop. I think I was his first real Muscle Car paint job. My car had previously been taken to bare metal primered and the panels that neded replacing(both quarters both inner/outer rockers,lower fender patches,door patch) so it was pretty much "ready".

He went back over took it back down to primer smoothed it out where needed(id go over on my days off and help remove trim,bumpers,etc). He painted it B3 blue base clear we put all the trim back on and he charged me $1000 to paint it. The Dart Sport is definately not a "pro" job but its a decent paint job for a "home done" one and that cost about $800-1000 in parts/tools/paint but was also not done in a shop.

When I was getting the RoadRunner painted the first time(different guy from above) for taking it down to bare metal, doing minor body work smoothing it back out painting it I was quoted
$3500-4000. Unfortunately you find stuff more wrong than you may think when you get to the bare metal stage. I found instead of minor body work I needed 2 quartters/rockers/fenderpatches etc so it put the job out of my $$$ range for that time.

BUT for the original job I still have the estimate. it was

1.Take car down to bare metal: remove doors,trunk lid,hood,trim,bumpers,etc for painting $1000

2. Prep car for paint: listed the ammount of cut off wheels, sand paper, primer,filler etc that they used and was very detailed(would say stuff like 3 wire wheels,7 sheets of 800 grit paper ..so you really knew what they were using) this included getting it to the state where it was ready to lay down the paint so all the boarding. $1500

3.Paint car: this included all materials they used to paint the car and then wet sand it when done it was a base clear and was going to be a dark blue. $1000

4.Reassemble after paint: this was to put everything back to where it was EXCEPT I told them to get everything on to make it road worthy and id do the small trim parts myself I don't know if id really save myself any $$ by putting the grill,door trim,belt mouldings,etc back on but I thought it would give me something to do and learn about so they said $500

total $4000 so yeah IF everything had been good under the primer when I was getting it done no quarters rockers etc id have had a good paint job for $4000.

You will NOT get this price from a major restoration shop or from a shop that does "only" show car paint jobs thats that stuff where guys quote $10,000+ but YES IMO if you look around and make some Mopar friends you can get a decent job for what your asking.