Quote:

Wow, excellent and timely (for me) thread. I just picked up an '86 Merkur XR4Ti last week. Mechanically in sound condition, straight body, but miserable paint.

Started on the paint a few days ago. So far I've done two coats and started wet sanding. Went with 'Sunburst Yellow' which is...uh...quite yellow.

Couple of questions:

1) After the first couple coats I'm noticing a few small rock chips in the hood that I didn't see prior to painting. They are very small and very shallow, but kind of stand out as they seem to have some thicker paint in them now. Do I need to fill them in somehow before continuing, or will the remaining 4+ coats take care of it?

2) I spent an hour wet sanding with 600 grit. If I look at it from above, it looks fine. If I look from an angle with a light shining at an angle, I see a tiny bit of orange peel left here and there. Is this a showstopper and I HAVE to get rid of every single trace of it at this point, or can I continue with the next couple of coats? When I started sanding the hood had horrible orange peel all over, so I've certainly managed to make a huge improvement on it...

Thanks!

I will post pics after the next couple of coats.

Well, I decided to go back to wetsanding, and got rid of almost everything. Now I have a dull smooth finish with the occasional bright spotting which I intend to get rid of before laying down the next coat.

Still need some advice on the rock chips and how to deal with them. Could I possibly use a tooth pick and tranfer some non-diluted paint to them and then sand down the excess?

I'm brand new to paint work, so apologies if these are silly questions.