Quote:

I got it at home depot in the same place they have the acetone, mineral spirits and such.

A bunch of pages ago, I think someone mentioned using an enamel hardener. Has anyone tried enamel hardener with Rustoleum? I'm thinking the secret recipe could be rustoleum, penetrol to make it flow, and enamel hardener to improve scratch resistance. In my experience it just doesn't get hard enough on its own, even with months of drying.

It could be a reason for all this to sort of be resistant to abuse and also bending becuase it flexes... althought it really should resist rock chips flying at it at 60mph, etc since it doesnt pass the fingernail test.

I painted a fiberglas front lip for my nissan se-r specV in the gloss white, and after drying for about 2 weeks now I can still make a mark with my fingernail, but i cant scratch it off becuase of its great adhesion to fiberglas. I also used automotive primer from rustoleum in the spray can becuase I sanded some old paint off and got down to the gel coat.

I have wetsanded the final coat to 1500 grit, and have orangepeel all over it becuase this was basically my test piece. The reason for my orange peel is that I had a layer or two too thick on it. My first layer was perfect, as well as my last layer, but the layers in between are somewhat moderate to thick.

I have decided to just wait until I get my polishing pad to buff it to see how it turns out instead of sanding it more and revealing more high spots since its a fiberglas lip and there are surface level imperfections. I dont want to paint it again just to cover the primer under and having to wetsand it and see it again.

I know its not the best test item, but I was eager to not waste some of the paint on my dead fender. All the lessons that you learn here will not fully to through until you try it. There is no better answer for everyone's questions except to really follow the instructions and then try it for yourselves.

I will try to post some pics when I get some polishing done. I always have dust on my paint layers so I have to wetsand it... which takes off the gloss coat.. but im hoping I get some better results than some of you with the gloss level after polishing.

Frank.