Quote:

Quote:

I got my paint/mineral spirits mixture worked out and have been laying down nice, smooth coats on my hood. I just finished coat number five. I'm concerned, however, because I can still see through the paint to where I sanded through the original paint to bare metal in several spots when I prepped the panel. I think it was Exit who referred to the "mahogany" look. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to reach a uniform color. Maybe I should have primed first to make a nice uniform base. If it weren't for the sanding spots, I could almost call the hood done. Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Ian

Yah I know what you mean. I have 7 coats on now and there's still some see through spots. Maybe 2-3 coats of a base color would have been a good idea, but if you think about it that's near the same # of coats as you could do with whatever color you're using. Might save a coat or two in the end, not sure..

Sounds like certain colors (Yellow, Safety Red) are having the see through problems. If you were to lay down a color for a base coat which would you guys use? From watching some of the car shows I see them do that with Candy Paints. But I've seen different colors used for the basecoats, silver, white, black, etc...Does the different color basecoats give different effects. If so, what changes? What color would you guys use for basecoats?

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG