Quote:

The soap actualy lubricates the paper and it will sand smoother. As far as finish goes I dont think it will make a difference. I have heard it makes the paper last longer though? In any case the main thing is to keep your area saturated. On a side note. I cannot find on the net anywhere where tremclad makes rustoleum and that it is in fact the same product. I was thinking about using valspar tractor and implement enamel from TSC. Any advice or info on that would be great. I was worried about it though because it takes a hardner?

i see your logic in the soap in the water and think it would help when approaching the 1000+ grit mark, i'll give that a shot next time. i would just worry about any residue left behind and how that efects the next coats of paint? i find the paper lasts really long to the point where it's worn from just using it, but i rinse the paper often and clean the surface alot. from what i've read the rust-oleim paint is the exact same thing as the tremclad sold in canada, it's just a brand labeled for canada. if it's rust paint, it's rust paint. anything that requires a hardner i would spray on to get the paint to "flash" i would think you need to spray it. i would never try to roller any acrylic enamel single stage paint, it would be impossible, if you have ever sprayed on that stuff like i have i would think it would not work just from my experience with the paint. the great thing about the tremclad is the way the paint acts and how easy it is to work with, the durability of the paint, and the fact that it's so inert, and not prone to all that fun stuff like fish eyes, and the fact that it is easy to apply and not critical about re-coat times ect.....like i've said before, i have sprayed several cars with a single stage acrylic enamel in my garage, i just can't stand the mess, smell, work, and overspray. the roller method for me was much eaiser, you can work at a leisurly pace, not rushing to mix a batch of color and spray it on 10 mins after the primer sealer like you have to using single stage auto paint. i find that the tremclad/rustoliem paint is VERY durable, the front fenders on my charger are fiberglass, and i have no issues even when i lean over them to do any motor work and accidently "pop" them in and out. if that were single stage i think the paint would crack unless your use the proper "flex" agents.