Quote:

I have spent the last 2 days reading this entire thread. I started from a link from the mr2oc.com forums. I will probably paint my car this way and will keep reading here. I just wanted to thank you guys for all the testing and posting. To bad a lot of the pictures do not show.

Keep up the good work

Im actually might try and paint my MR2 with this

I practiced on a fender. Half of the fender was sanded prepped down to the metal; the other half, I left the primer that was on there. I thought I read on the board mix about 20% of mineral spirits to the paint, however when I mixed to 20% the paint was still too thick- probably weather conditions, it was about mid 50s outside (in farenheit). I think I mixed it to about to 300% and the consistency was still more than 'water'. It had the consistency more of baby oil, however I think it might work out better. One layer of paint so far and it covered the fender pretty well. I was worried at first because there seems to be a lot of bubbles, but after it dried there are less, still a lot but less. However I think if I sand it down with 600-800 grit or so then sand and put another layer of paint, it should take care of that. So maybe 3-4 layers and then a final buffing. So mixing it a little thick doesnt seem too bad. However the paint has not dried to the touch yet, still a little sticky after about 5 hours, but thats with the temperature only getting colder it should take a little longer. And I'm sure it doesnt help that I added more mineral spirits and that will delay the cureing process. I took some pictures but I will upload them later on- probably when I finish the fender.
Ill report back on the hardness of the paint after a while. I intend to bake the paint a little with a heater see if that will harden it a bit.