Quote:

Ok, now a few insights:

1.) The paint suggested very early in these postings was called "acrylic/enamel paint"...this is not exactly what you're looking for. The proper paint type is "aklyd enamel". The "acrylic/enamel" is water based, and that isn't what you want (read about "acrylic/enamel" on this web page). As a matter of fact, you do not necessarily have to buy "rustoleum". I bought mine from the local "Do-It-Center" and it is the house brand made by Sherwin Williams...worked fine. The easiest way to tell if you have the right thing is to look at the directions and see what "clean-up" instructions are...if it says "clean with Mineral Spirits", than you have the right stuff. Many people make compatible brands.

2.) It may also say in the instructions that you do not have to thin...in this case, you have to thin. My ratio was 10:1, worked great. It will bubble and look "orange peely" at first, but relax, the paint self-levels as it drys.

3.) At first, I understood that we could use a $20 orbital buffer/polisher like you buy a Wal-Mart, etc...Although it seems to have worked for others, it did NOT work for me. It would not eliminate the scratches from the final 1500 grit wetsanding. Luckily, I had a 7" ELECTRONIC POLISHER/SANDER just like the one on this web page. It worked wonders!!

Will write more later if I think of anything. If you have questions about my procedure, I will do my best to help...thanks guys

Hi Chuck - at first glance, your test area looks kind of dull and it looks like the surface is blotchy, in the light reflections. Granted the light isn't that great, but the surface doesn't look smooth - was it straight to begin with?

What did you use when wetsanding, did you do it by hand or with a block of some sort? If the surface really is as uneven as it looks you might want to try a soft foam sanding block with your paper wrapped around it.

If you did everything as prescribed in this thread and the job came out lacking lustre as it appears to, you might want to try actual rustoleum, e.g. from walmart. I don't know if the paint is the difference or if it's the technique but your surface does not seem to be as glossy or mirror like as it could be. for example this is with the same technique, foam sanding block used when wetsanding, and with cheap rustoleum gloss from walmart.

If the paint surface is uneven, I would go back at it with 600 grit and water, with a soft foam block, till it's smooth, then build it up again with 2-3 more thin coats.