Quote:

Exit - That's certainly a possibility, but I hate to say that I don't think that's it. I started my next project (ironically it's a mower, like your photo) and I used the comsumer STOPS RUST grade paint (Sunrise Red). I only gave the can a quick stir (15 seconds maybe) as the paint looked very uniform, before I poured it into a small container to mix the mineral spirits in. This was last Sunday. I checked again last night and I could not scratch the paint no matter how hard I tried, at least not with a fingernail. I'm sure I could with a screwdriver or something, but I could do that on my factory paintjob too! (no, I'm not willing to test that theory!)

It's been ridiculously dry weather here in S. FL for the past two months, but it won't be long before the humidity level starts to soar. It will be interesting to see if that has an effect as well.

I honestly wish I could offer a more educated opinion as to why your paint does not want to stick. The thought just occured to me; areyou using "odorless" or "low- odor" mineral spirits, or regular. Obviously there is a difference from regular Mineral Spirits. I'm not home right now, but I'm fairly certain I used just plain mineral spirits. It's a LONG shot, but...?

I think I am using odorless mineral spirits. Should I be using something with odor? At home depot and at walmart, I didn't see anything but odorless, but I can look harder if you think that could be an issue (I'm hoping..).

William - could be you're right. If nothing but odorless spirits are available here, that could be a problem too. But I didn't know there was a difference between odorless, low odor, strong odor, etc.