Just a note guys,

I have tried many different wipes and paint preps over the years. I have spent good money on some only to have very bad paint adhesion problems. You would be amazed at how just one little step can cause so many problems. I have seen regular old lacquer primer absorb water. So if you are washing down with soap and water before applying your paint, you are probably going to see some adhesion problems.

For me the cure was to wipe down my surfaces with lacquer thinner just before painting. It seems to get off all the nasty stuff that accumulates during the body work. You must let it evaporate before applying the paint, but for me it always made my paint and or primer stick better. I use the cheap stuff from AutoZone. Usually under $10 a gallon.

Be careful when you use it on cheap lacquer primer though because it will remove your primer. I usually use a lint free cloth (Like an old T-shirt) and WEAR GLOVES!! A fan blowing on the surface will help it evaporate quicker.

I have spent many dollars setting up my garage to spray my cars in, so I haven't used the roller method. But if you are having adhesion problems, chances are your surface prep needs to be addressed. I’ll bet the mineral spirits are also evaporating very slowly, causing your soft paint issues. I have used lacquer thinner to thin enamel before and it worked well. Using a roller though and thinning with lacquer thinner will probably eat your roller. If anyone experimenting would be willing to try it, I would be curious if using a little fast evaporating lacquer thinner would help with the soft paint issues.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com