Quote:

Ok, so Saturday I'm runnin around getting stuff for the Dart's paint and body work..I'm in teh hardware store's paint aisle, and there was a 1 gallon can of Rustoelum "Professional Grade" Enamel paint, in Sand color. I read the can. First, it says nothing about mineral spirits, it says thin with Acetone(?)..It also says paint will be dry in 5-10 hours depending on temps, which by the can said 60*F and above, and humidity below 85%. It did say rolling and spraying and brushing were all valid techniques. So, perhaps it IS the mineral spirist part? I've always thought mineral sprits were for stains, and laquer thinner/acetone were for typical "paints". Dont know if that helps, but it's what I read..

Also, it said it can go over any base material, including bare metal, but if you wanted "all the benfits of the rust inhibiting properties.." or something like that, to use their primers..

from my discussion the professional stuff is different, and made to dry faster. BUT tremclad is different, and i can't really comment. try giving their tech dept a call and ask them, they really know their stuff. the tremclad and rustoleum stop rust are alkylid based oil enamel, and one ingreadent is mineral spirits. the paint you were looking at is probally a different enamel type of paint, use what they reccommend to thin it, give it a shot. also regarding the primer - i guess if your painting over rust, use primer, but if you take the time to prep your car, do all the body work, there's no need to prime, because there's no rust to inhibit anyways. as long as the surface is rust free, there's no way for moisture to get thru the paint and to the metal and cause rust. but where there's no paint and a way for mositure to get behind the paint like where you screw a mirror on and chip the paint, there is a avenue for moisture to start rusting the metal. i don't think the adhesion properties increase at all, from what the tremclad dude told me, actually there would just be more paint thickness making it more prone to chipping ect.... but if your painting a rusty or oxidized metal surface, the primer will inhibit the rust to a degree. but i hope nobody paints a rusty car!!!!