Quote:

I don't think the body shops/detailers use high RPM polishers. I believe most are <4K RPM. The compound/pad/pressure are the main issues.

Like you said - the higher speed is just waiting to burn through something - usually when you think you are going along just fine! I have first hand knowledge of this phenomena.

i agree, espically when polishing new paint. also random orbit polishers are much better at delivering a more uniform polish because they spin and orbit in a oval at the same time, basically giving you less swirl marks and a better finish. I've tried alot of compounds when polishing paint, and out of them all, the el-cheap-o turtle wax polishing compound worked the best, but it did take time. the down side is time, the upside is that it works, and there is virtually no chance of burning the paint. i would equate the rubbing compound to 600grit paper, and the polishing compound to 2000+ grit paper. some compounds are rated according to grit, or their equivelent, no matter how much you buff with rubbing compound it will still be dull, try polishing paint with 600 grit paper wet and let me know how it works out!! i'd bet it won't. if you think about it, you know how long it takes to wetsand with 2000grit paper when compared to 600, that is why the polishing compound takes time to see results. but it's easy work, basically just stand there and let the polisher do the work, for the sides i reccommend a chair/stool!!!