Quote:

re the clearcoat - that would be AWESOME. The question I have though is how the clearcoat would be applied. When I was doing the roller process with the enamel, the coat wasn't nice and smooth (or free of dog hair) until after wetsanding - and then the shine was gone. Before wetsanding, the shine was nice but the surface still needed flattening.

So if you roll the clearcoat on, would you have to wetsand it also, and would that affect the gloss (I'm guessing "yes")?

on the clear coat, no, wetsanding would not effect the end shine. unless you use a really coarse grit, typically a really good traditional paint job involves wetsanding and polishing to perfect it, so it is nothing new. the purpose of thinning any paint by the way has a few purposes, thinner paint promotes "self-leveling", increases pot life slightly, and increases the "workability" of the paint so that there is virtually no high/low spots or roller marks.
I have virtually no dust/dirt/hair in my paint, that is strictly a function on how clean your enviroment is. if you are getting dirt using a roller, you'd go crazy if you were spraying the paint on, because you aggitate the air and get huge dust/dirt/hair issues unless you have a booth, or make a ventelation system that keeps a positive pressure in the room so that air is allways going out and not in, bringing dust/dirt/hair on your work. before i paint i clean my garage, hose it out, and clean the car really well. then once the door is closed, i don't open it until it's done. before i paint i also use a "tack cloth" which is a sticky cloth used in the auto body industry to remove all dust/dirt/hair from the surface (usually costs a $1), i clean each pannel just before i paint. the key is keeping your area as clean as possible. i think i have 1 cat hair (thick one, must be a a$$ hair!!!) in the paint that came out when wetsanding. no dust/dirt in the paint at all. and the surface is perty much very smooth, wetsanding just makes it much better. if you're getting orange peel or marks form the roller, either work faster, or thin the paint more, or do both. also the wetsanding process does not introduce any new dust/dirt if you clean the car while it's wet with a shammy to remove all sanding dust. so the whole process is probally the best way to paint in your garage and have really good results. oh and don't let your dog in the garage while/during painting.