Quote:

Sounds like certain colors (Yellow, Safety Red) are having the see through problems. If you were to lay down a color for a base coat which would you guys use? From watching some of the car shows I see them do that with Candy Paints. But I've seen different colors used for the basecoats, silver, white, black, etc...Does the different color basecoats give different effects. If so, what changes? What color would you guys use for basecoats?

roe

I haven't had time to experiment yet and don't have a piece ready to experiment on either. However, I'm taking the week of June 5th off from my day job to work on my 46 Jeep. Part of the plan is to weld up the radio-option slots in my 59 Sprite's dash so I can start my experiments with the paint. My plan is to roller on Rusto clean metal primer (dash is one of the few parts without rust on this car), block sand and then lay down a black base coat or two with semi-gloss. Then several more coats of safety red (as many as necessary, polish and follow up with satin black stripes. Hopefully this will give me the look I'm after.