Quote:

keep in mind guys that basically all of you trying this method have no previous painting expirence, and you're pulling off good results. painting takes years to learn, and for $50, a respectable paint job is awesome. there's a learning curve, but the only way to learn is to do it, once you have it down pat, and know all the tricks, then you'll find it is really a easy process, there is no other way to paint your car for less with these results, even a rattle can paint job will cost more, plus it's a clean process, and you can take your time.

EXIT1965- regarding the buffing, the turtle wax polishing compound has a grit rating as i mentioned before of 2500+ grit. that being said, that small test area would take me over 20mins to finish, perhapps you did'nt polish long enough. you can use the tutrle wax rubbing compound, which i think is about 1000 grit equivilent. but i found it too agressive using a electric polisher. i polished my charger for about a good solid day, probablly over 8hours, but it's easy work, you just stand there and let the polisher do the work. your test area is small, and i actually would find it eaiser to polish a larger area than a small test area like yours. you should try a whole trunk lid for example, i think you'll find it alot eaiser. the final result all depends on how good the prep is, prep is everything no matter how you actually paint the car.

as for the shine, i think it's also good to remember that these cars originally from the factory had paint simmilar to my results, it's only in the last 20yrs, that BC/CC paint came into play, and that "wet paint" look is what we're all comparing this technique to. i really actually perfer the warm enamel finish to a BC/CC job on a old car, but if i were to paint my 2002 Mustang GT for example, i'd definatly go the BC/CC route.

Cool. that test area didn't take me more than 3 minutes to "polish", I guess I didnt spend enough time on it. My issue now is I should have used more than 180 on the final surface before starting, I'm seeing lots of scratches in there that I think are too big to be from the fine grit sandpaper during wetsanding.