Greetings all!

I like many others, it would seem, have been directed here from other forums and I am going to paint my old beater in this manner. I was planning on spraying it but I think I will give the roller a try.

BTW the proper technique for laying down a good spray job using spray cans is detailed here in this modeling tutorial: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1302141D

I understand that it is for a model car but the procedure is similar. You can pick out DYI sprayed paint jobs on real cars by the variation in shine where you see both flat and gloss areas. This tutorial show’s how to avoid that and the reason that I like the idea of a rolled on finish is that it would make for a more uniform finish.

Oh and a couple more thoughts I had.

First don’t confuse the product marked “Paint Thinner” with “Mineral Spirits”. I believe paint thinner contains mineral spirits but is not as pure as the item marked “Mineral Spirits” and usually contains other products. I have used “Paint Thinner” in the past to thin enamel paint only to find that it curdled the paint.

I once purchased a MGB project from a collector. On his restorations, he told me, all he used on the underside of his vehicles was Tremclad/Rustoleum and never had problems with rust reappearing. I now use this on the underside on my cars and have had great success. It doesn’t suffer as badly from rust creep like POR-15 does. I have also used Zero Rust – it’s a much better product - but found it to takes a long time to cure to a satisfactory hardness.

What excites me about this technique is that you can take an ordinary car and for only a few bucks is make it a personal statement. I look forward to seeing more flames, racing stripes, and other wacked out paint jobs. For my ride I am thinking of a tribute to the mid nineties Mclaren Formula one cars painted in the Marlborough colors. Only problem is I doubt I can find the proper fluorescent red.

Doesn’t Tremcald or Rustoelum make a Chrome coloured paint, wouldn’t that look cool?