Quote:

admactanium, what swirl remover, polish and wax would you recommend? I was going to go with the Zaino swirl remover but it is more of a filler. Not sure if that'd be good for this application. It seems that the Menzerna would be a good chioce though then followed by the Zaino Z-3 polisher maybe.. thoughts?

right now i'm big on menzerna intensive polish and final polish II using a yellow cutting pad/orange powerpad and white finishing pad respectively. there are some other great products out there right now that are supposed to be as good. poor boys products are getting good reviews from people on autopia.. the key is using good polishing pads and polishes with diminishing abrasives (and working them long enough). when i go to final paint on this i'll probably colorsand down to 2000 grit and give it a real mirror finish with final polish and then a nice glaze or just a sealant. the tank section you see above was sanded to 1500 and polished with intensive polish alone on a yellow cutting pad just as a quick test. however i didn't colorsand enough and some of the heavier grit sandmarks are still visible. but in any case, it can be done and it can be shiny. this was more of a "proof of concept" test than a test of how i'd want to paint to finally look.

i have noticed that menzerna has some filling effect as the surface can be somewhat oily after use. but i think if it's worked well enough the surface will be smooth under it regardless. i think poorboys is known for not having a lot of fillers in it so you can see what you get. even if you were working with a polish with fillers, you could just use rubbing alcohol and a terry towel to check how the surface is under the polish as you go along.

Last edited by admactanium; 04/15/06 10:21 PM.