Quote:

Heres the scoop between Rustoleum Paint, ( made in the USA), and Tremclad Paint, made in Toronto Ontario Canada (aka Hogtown). The Rustoleum Corporation USA owns the Tremclad operation in Canada. The Tremclad paint is made in Canada in thier plant in The City of Toronto. It is a very diffferent paint than Rustoleun, both are made, sold and marketed as a rust paint, that you can use over metal wood fibreglass,wives , kids, bosses etc, sticks like!!!!!!!!! to a blanket. The resin in Tremclad is of a long oil base in chemical nature, thus does well when thinned with mineral spirits. The Tremclad company recommends you thin this paint to 10% for the purpose of spray application, usually 1 or 2 coats. The roller technique, employed by people like us was unknoun to the Tremclad chemists. But they did state, that by using the paint this way would infact create a very good bond,very hard surface and a nice finish to work with. So I believe Charger has been very ingenious in discovering this method, ( should be patented), so hats off to you Charger. Now getting back to the Rustoleum paint made and sold in the USA, it is of an arcrylic resin in its basic chemical make-up, so there is definately a difference in the 2 paints, which could be why some results in this application may vary. I hope this helps some of you guys with your questions. You will not be able to buy Tremclad in you retail stores that sell Rustoleum, but you could have Rustoleum order it for you I believe.......Roll on Brothers Roll on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the compliments, but i have a question, where did you get this info from? i think that EXIT1965 got basically the same results that i got, using the same tequnique, simmilar finish, and from what i read of his post encountered the same issues like bubbles, ect...so that being said the only issue that exit1965 had was the durability of the paint, and that he was able to scratch it off. i can say that when i painted my car i probally could have scratched it off too, but after a month or so it was rock hard. i know this because i noticed when i was assembling the 74 beetle, that the paint would "dent" eaisly, but i did'nt try to scratch it off. i honestly think there is alot of different types of rustoleum in usa, rust fighter, rust cover, ect....so i think that what exit1965 used is the same as i used; aka tremclad. i'm just glad i found the tremclad, and that it works for me. as for the pattent, i've filed the papers!!! just kidding. i have to say the paint is really awesome, and holding up really well. even on the 1974 beetle, in the back alot of people have issues with paint cracking and peeling due to the extreem heat from vw rear air cooled engines, but i can say mine is perfect. i'm curious to see how exit1965's paint tests in lets say a month, i bet it would'nt scratch off at all.