Quote:

Cool. that test area didn't take me more than 3 minutes to "polish", I guess I didnt spend enough time on it. My issue now is I should have used more than 180 on the final surface before starting, I'm seeing lots of scratches in there that I think are too big to be from the fine grit sandpaper during wetsanding.

180 is way to harsh to prep with, i'd say 300-400 final prep at least. polishing is tricky, you can achieve fast results with a harsher or higher grit equivelant polish compound, or take your time and use a fine compound, the benifit to the finer compound (turtle wax polishing compound paste) is that there is virtually no way to burn or damage the paint with it even if you polish for hours, it only gets better, there are many polishing coumpounds available, i only reccommended the turtle wax polishing compound cause for a amature it's easy to get awesome results, and the chances of really screwing up are very slim. like painting, polishing and wetsanding is also a learned skill. i could have reccommended the 3M 3 step process compounds, but most likely, if you've never done it before you will really screw up. turtle wax polishing compound works really nice with a electric buffer and water, goes a long way, and is very cheap, and i found it to be the best polish compound for this job, i have a shelf full of 3M, mothers, meguires, ect....never use the stuff after i tried the turtle wax stuff. but if you know what your'e doing, use what your confortable with, just don't complain when you burn the paint!!!! lol keep in mind the paint is fresh when polishing, and cutting it with a harsh compound is not wise, sometimes the the cheapest is the best.....sometimes; we are all on a "budget" after all are'nt we????.