Quote:

Serpent -

FWIW, it sounds like you're already commited but...

I would STRONGLY recommend that you try this method on a test piece first. There is definitely a learning curve to this technique, and unless you've at least tried it out once on something else, ANYTHING else, I think you're going to be unhappy with the results - especially the way you're trying to accomplish it. Don't let all the efforts you've invested so far (time, money and energy doing the prep work) go to waste. If you cant find something to try it out on first (a junkyard door, fender, even an old washer or dryer, ANYTHING...) then do yourself a favor and just work on one section of the car. Hood, fender, even the rear deck lid in your case. Personally, I think a fender is the true test as it has both horizontal and vertical surfaces, creases and curves - a little bit of everything.

JMHO

I would listen to this man. I'm telling you from experience, i did the same thing as you Serpent, well only that you havent done it yet. I painted my whole cae with no prior experience or a test piece and got my self it to alot of trouble!! Now that i have had experience my new GLOSS WHITE Coat is going on soo smooth, 0 BUBBLES and its laying down excellent with a mirror like finish not to mention Hard as rock and i've only done 1 COAT soo far. The trick like every one has been saying is PUT ON THIN COATS, heres what i've changed from my initial start to now:

A) Instead of having the roller full of paint and then just letting it drip down and then rolling it on to the car (which causes alot of thick spots where the roller first touches) I drain the roller very well so its not completely soaked and then just pressing down somewhat hard get thin coats.

B) Work fast and dont spend 5 MINUTEs on one area trying to get rid of bubbles cuz if you have odorless, atleast in my case, they bubbles are evaporating by themselves and what r left over i just go over with the roller slightly.

C) In my case i had to keep rethining the paint in the bucket (i mixed the paint and mineral spirit in a bucket then pour it into a tray) Because it would dry and slowly get thicker dunno why but its not that extreme.

d) Last but not least from experience, learned mixtakes and a boat load of useless/pointless labor, take your time, go slowly cuz if you try to rush it boy, get ready for alot of hard work.

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/14/06 10:58 AM.