Quote:

Quote:

ok I am getting pretty good at this!

What I found out:
My first 3 coats were far too thin. When I did a light sand after you 2nd coat I had to worry about eatting right through it. For my "fourth" coat I put it down at what I would say is a more normal thickness. I got a bit of noticable orange peel but it was easy to sand out with 600gt. I am going to just consider it my second coat since now I have about 95% coverage after my sanding. I also learned how to get the surface really smooth in the process. The sanding is almost therapeudic but tedious. My car is looking really good now but I can see I need to do more body work. I have 3 small spots I need to sand down and rework... but I will just do it after I finish the process I guess. I can live with some unnoticable blemishes. When I laid down the 4th coat and got more orangepeel I was worried I wasn't going to have a nice final finish. After the wetsanding I am not really worried at all. I am expecting to have a nice, shiny surface.

The other day someone opened their car door on my door and screwed up my paint.. it was an easy fix. Then I was thinking if I had paid that 1700$+ macco job I wouldn't have been so laidback about it.

With the money I saved I bought new rims, tires, and 2" spacers.. cost 1500$ and look nice. Well, it goes more than saving money from just painting it at Maaco's.. Since this is my daily driver (I strip it down almost every day to work on it ) I would have needed a rental car while mine was in the shop.

Bakuryu, did you have any probs with putting thin coats?

-Serpent

Heres the thing with my car serpent. I DID excellent body work when i was originally taking the red dirty color got it all out smooth, but i didnt take out some of the dings, then i painted it dark gray and did a slopppy job of it, too thick, then too thin and then just perfect but by that time i had already spent 50$+ and wasted over 2 WEEKS, now the white is turning out really nice, i'm doing thin coats and when i said i pretty much kill about 50% of the layer that i put and you can sorta see the the previous coat, thats why i'm doing 3 COATS and then wetsanding. so i did 1 coat 2 coat 3 coats wetsand and it was down to 2.5COATS lol Soo far i have the car painted 4coats(had to take it to inspection), gonna lay down 2 more coats as perfectly as i can and then wetsand with 1500 and it'll b down to 5 COATS, then i'll do 1 LAST 7th COAt and wetsand that with 2000GRIT and polish. I got this whole thing planned out, hopefully it will execute well.

question for charger its suppose to rain over the weekend the current coat has over 48HOURS of dry time, think the rain will hurt it in anyway?

ya man, I was just asking if you had a prob with the thin paint. I wasn't implying anything about your body work. You did exellent body work.. thanks for pointing it out . I spent a lot of time on the body of my car too but 2 or 3 spots could be done better. I don't think the thin painting technique was a result of my subpar bodywork.

-Serpent