Quote:

I've been reading this thread like many others and have been a reader of moparts for years (I have a '70 Challenger R/T). I tried doing this on my Datsun 240Z and so far have enjoyed the results. The paint goes on nice and easy and looks good (I have 6 coats of white so far).

I have noticed on some sections of the car that have 6 total coats and about 2 weeks of drying time that if I dig my nail in, it will scrape right off down to the primer below it. In reading this thread, it sounds like only one other person has that problem, and no solution

Asking the paint guys at Home Depot (whatever that is worth), they told me that Rustoleum isn't made to stick to a urethane based primer, which is what I believe was on my car prior to the painting...

Any insight on how to make this paint harder?

-Mike

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I am not sure what causes it, probably a mix of surface and the paint hardness. Your nail had to bust through the paint enough to scrape at the surface; but maybe the layers above have a tendency to lift the layers below when the higher layers are scratched if the base layers aren't adhering right.

In any case, on the Professional rustoleum test area I did, I can not scratch it to the surface at this point (probably 3.5 weeks after last coat). I could for the first week or so, then not. The professional stuff is supposed to dry faster. So in your case, you might want to wait longer than 2 weeks before doing any more scratching.

It's a month+ after I finished up my standard rustoleum area, and I can still scratch the paint off, but my surface prep wasn't good. The paint sure is shiny though.

Anyways I'm doing another Professional rustoleum (at Lowes) test area now, on an area comparable to where I did the standard stuff. I should have results by Sunday, and I'm hoping for as nice of a shine as I got with the standard stuff but with a tougher (or at least, quicker drying) surface.