Quote:

I was linked over here from Thirdgen.org with hopes to paint my car on a strict budget. This looks awesome and despite what my friends are saying, I'm going to try this because clearly people are getting good results.

I have a 91 Camaro and it needs a lot of work. I'm going to be replacing the front and rear bumpers because of accidents. My big question is whether I should take off the quarter panels, bumpers, hood, ground effects, spoiler, etc. when I paint and do each part seperately. I figure this will help me to get a solid covering on each part but I don't know how others have faired. I saw the third gen camaro above with the ground effects off so I'm a little bit on edge about which path to take.

I have an 89 Camaro and it was a pain getting off the ground effects. Hopefully your bolts aren't in as bad condition as mine were. To take off the rocker panels you will need to take the rearseat side panels off and use a deep socket that is either a 10mm or 7/16. To take the panels off the door you need to take off the door panel.. be careful witht he door clips, etc. Again you will need that deep socket+ extentions and I think a swivel adapter. I took my mirrors off too. I left the bumper and the lower panels on but I took out the break lights- which was easy. I also took out the marker lights and blinkers in the front but left the headlights in because I could get the 1" foam brush around the edges. Also you might want to take off the window sweeps, too and get new ones if you need them. I think I paid 50 or 70$ for new ones. Oh, and be sure to at least take off your front plastic intake grill thing. Be sure to check under your t-top weather strips for rust. If you have any then clean and repair it. You will probably detroy all your emblems, except the nose emblem, if you try to take them off. There is a silver film backing on them that tears off when you try to remove them. The film also has the rest of the image details printed on it. To take off the rockers you will need to remove the emblems to get at the two bolts beneath it.

This is my daily driver so I have to repeat the process everytime I work on it. Mostly just removing the window sweeps, licenseplates, lights and then taping up.

-Serpent