I spoke with a Tremclad marketing rep, his name is Mark. Mark said the formula between the tremclad and Rustoleum, the consumer lines.Meaning the non-industrial type paints, these 2 paints have a different formula base, but are meant to accomplish the same results, he did not comment on which of the 2 may be better paints only that they were made to do the same thing. The resins in the 2 paints are different in there chemical make up. When Rustoleum took over Tremclad some years ago, the Tremclad paint had some issues with fading. This has since been corrected using some component(company secret) from the Rustoleum corp, that corrected the fading issue. Don't get me wrong I am no expert, I only wish to share what was told to me concerning the 2 paint lines. It could be either paint will have to be tweaked by the user as well the experience factor on its application, would have to be developed by the user. He went to explain the resin differences Tremclad (long oil base) and Rustoleum ( either acrylic or come type of alkyd), but there definately is a difference). As a company rep he did not say which one may be a better paint, but the Tremclad will be sold only in Canada and the Rustoleum in the can will only be sold in the USA. This could be for EPA reasons, because of the VOC laws.This gentleman was very interested in this method of painting, has been consulting chemists at Tremclad. He has had a number of calls from people in the USA about using the Tremclad paint as you have dsicovered. Hope this helps.........Fred