Quote:

hey 69 - - Thanks for sharing all of this information. I stayed up half the night reading about all of this. I think I am gonna do some experimenting with this too.It would definitely be worth the effort for me to try this.

I am wondering if someone in the U.S. who lives close to Canada could just buy some of the Tremclad and test it against the Rustoleum. Maybe someone in Michigan or NY or Washington state?

Do you think the scratching has anything to do with whether it is painted directly onto bare metal or over paint? Would it dry any faster if it was on bare metal? Just curious. So, you're saying it is approximately 5 months to toally dry? Thanks again for all of your help. - - Rob

i would say it takes about 3 months to get fully dry, and by 5 months it is rock hard, just like any paint. waxing does'nt seem to affect the process at all, from what i've painted it makes no difference. i also don't think it matters at all what your painting over, since i find the tremclad to be very inert as far as having and reactions at all to being painted over anything, including the fiberglass boats, fiberglass fenders on the 69 charger i've painted, heck even the wood on our cottage is painted with black gloss tremclad about 10 years ago. like i said any paint remains "soft" for at least 3 months after painting, so subjecting paint to scratch tests after 3 weeks is not a fair test. you can absoultly not scratch either of my cars with just your fingernail no matter how hard you try, i tried on both cars under the hood and no way in hell i could scratch it whatsoever. rustoleum is sold in walmart in canada too. it would be interesting if someone tested both, although i think that the rustoleum is the same as tremclad.