Quote:

I think it is also possible to put too much mineral spirits in. That is what I did and it appeared that the paint was separating from the minerals spirits once applied. It is also possible it wasn't mixed vigorously enough before appling. So just double check that you are mixing it enough and its not being mixed way to thin. From one extreme to the other for me.

My test peice is on hold for 2 weeks until I can get back to my parents to finish it. I'm having problems with the paint not laying down flat. I get alot of bubbles when I apply it, and good huff and they are gone, but where the bubbles were it is peally. I've tried running the roller over it again lightly, but it just makes the peal smaller in texture.

Any ideas on how to get it to lay flat? is everyone getting a little peal and then just sanding it out? Also, I'm using 400 grit to get the peal out, but then there is pretty well no paint left once it is out and am back to square one. What am I doing wrong?

I think you're putting too much paint on. I have gotten smooth results by pushing all I can out of the roller on the roller tray, then pushing down firmly as I roll the paint on the car, which puts down very little paint. I can see in the reflection if I've wet the surface evenly.

If there's too much paint on the roller, there will be runs, bubbles, all kinds of bad things. It' s alot quicker to just unload most of the paint out of the roller, push firmly on it when applying the paint.

I got in the zone of doing it well my last coat, I would just dab the roller into the paint, push it out a few times, then use just that amount to paint a surface about 1.5" by 3" long. It goes on THIN but it will not run and it will not orange peel at that thickness.

If you are doing a test area that's laying flat, do whatever you can to put it sideways so that you get practice with the right technique. With the right technique (needed to do a car) you will care most about the surfaces on the side of the car where people can see- and if you try to put too much paint on the side, it will run and you will know you're not doing it right. Practicing on a surface where the paint can only "fall" directly towards the surface is not as beneficial because only a portion of the car is like that, and if you master the technique used to paint a door or something where the paint has to be the right thickness during application, you will be able to do flat (horizontal) surfaces easily as well.