Quote:

i think we should stop comparing other paints, and focus on the tequnique. most enamels will be the same or similar in the way the paint lays, cures, and finishes. so we could spend all day looking for different paints and posting "how does this paint look". if your truly interested in the process and want to paint using this system, then please, buy some of the paint, and post your results here and you tell us!!!! work with what's available to you in your location, take EXIT1965, and 38 COUPE, they have both expiremented with the process and have gone thru the steps, and i'm sure when they find a different paint they will let us know what works. there are hundereds of brands of paints, however the tequnique i assume will be the same if not simmilar for all.

I think it would be interesting to try a different kind of paint entirely - the alkyd based enamels (which Ive read means the same as "oil based") seem to have the same stuff in them. It would be nice to experiment with the super industrial, non California legal stuff

One worthwhile test might be to do 8, 10 or 12 layers instead of just 6. Maybe the "deepness" of the shine has to do with how thick the paint is? I do notice on the test areas that I've done that the gloss left behind by the rustoleum is fairly nice looking, except it's not very smooth, so it's almost like you must wetsand or its not going to look nice. People who have complained that the gloss of rustoleum goes away are probably talking about that gloss left behind on the rustoleum, and haven't wetsanded or polished the paint.

While I'm at it, if I buy a few quarts of the professional rustoleum and combine them in a 1 gallon container (to get a consistent color mixture for the whole car), will the paint last for a few months while I do different parts of the car?