ok I am getting pretty good at this!

What I found out:
My first 3 coats were far too thin. When I did a light sand after you 2nd coat I had to worry about eatting right through it. For my "fourth" coat I put it down at what I would say is a more normal thickness. I got a bit of noticable orange peel but it was easy to sand out with 600gt. I am going to just consider it my second coat since now I have about 95% coverage after my sanding. I also learned how to get the surface really smooth in the process. The sanding is almost therapeudic but tedious. My car is looking really good now but I can see I need to do more body work. I have 3 small spots I need to sand down and rework... but I will just do it after I finish the process I guess. I can live with some unnoticable blemishes. When I laid down the 4th coat and got more orangepeel I was worried I wasn't going to have a nice final finish. After the wetsanding I am not really worried at all. I am expecting to have a nice, shiny surface.

The other day someone opened their car door on my door and screwed up my paint.. it was an easy fix. Then I was thinking if I had paid that 1700$+ macco job I wouldn't have been so laidback about it.

With the money I saved I bought new rims, tires, and 2" spacers.. cost 1500$ and look nice. Well, it goes more than saving money from just painting it at Maaco's.. Since this is my daily driver (I strip it down almost every day to work on it ) I would have needed a rental car while mine was in the shop.

Bakuryu, did you have any probs with putting thin coats?

-Serpent

Last edited by Serpent Warrior; 04/21/06 10:59 PM.