To be honest...... with all the money spent on these older Mopars, especially in a Concours Correct type of judging, paint pen marks in proper locations, certain amount of overspray, etc--do they not take off points for Base/Clear paintjobs? I was just wondering. I remember Mom's 71 Duster when it was new--and like Charger is basically saying, the colors were Warm looking, not Wet looking like the Modern B/C jobs. They had a shine sure, but not to the degree we've been basically spoiled by. I think they were shot with Acrylic Enamel from the factory, in the very late 60's to early 70's and beyond. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems Dupont Imron was really coming on strong around the late 70's to early 80's, if memory serves me correctly.(and killed alot of "old school" painters)

In the 50's, I think Lacquer and Enamel were kings of their day, with Lacquer being the paint used more for show/custom jobs because of the mass amounts of sanding/buffing that paint requires-but upon doing so, had more sheen than Enamel could offer. (Too young to remember a "factory 50's car and it's fresh coat of factory Enamel paint...some here probably do )

A good friend of mine is older than I, and I'm 43-him about 65...and his dad was the local body guru locally for the Oldsmobile Dealership, where he worked everyday after school and summers doing the tedious/boring stuff-so 50's early 60's era. Too bad he has lost his "leading" skill over the years. He's mentioned several times how his dad would place a can of open paint, on a "warm" hotplate first thing in the morning to stir and warm it up, for the days shoot and spending alot of time getting panels right and doing lead work. More 'fixing' was done-vs-today's replacing. It is interesting to listen to him speak of the "old days" of doing auto painting and body work and how when Plastic came out, everyone thought it was the cat's meow as far as speed wise, but was more for those "quicky" deals as the bondo back then was worst than today's modern plastics. Lead was the standard for first rate jobs.....and really still is. It's the gauge that modern plastics use.