Quote:

69Chargeryeehaa here is my situation. I have been sidetracked from working on my '73 barracuda project by a '65 F-100 stepside pickup I picked up real cheap (I kick myself for getting side tracked by this project and just want to get it completed and out of the way...) I have completed sand blasting the truck and welding in patch panels. This weekend I planned on doing my first spraying by applying a coat of epoxy primer then starting the filler, sanding, primer, etc. work until I had it ready for paint. I happen to have a can of the Rustoleum rusty metal primer at home which I have never openned and consider using on the floor boards. I have been told to apply epoxy primer first then body filler and the rest of the body work. I want to give this method a try on this truck. Should I just give it a roll-on coat of primer, then do the body work then give this method a try or do you recommend putting filler directly over the bare metal and I believe you said to apply this paint directly over filler? Thanks!

i did'nt use any primer, just did the repairs and bodywork using bondo, but i did'nt have and major rust to speak of, just dents, scratchs, and chips mostly. i just put bondo right over bare metal, then followed by just the paint, that's it. as long as no water gets in from behind then it should be ok. if you can access the back of the pannel you're repairing then spray some undercoating, i use the professional "rubberized" undercoat (not the ashfault stuff) and it's never let me down, that stuff is awesome and is even paintable after your done. Make sure you have all the "cancer" out of the metal and then go a little more to get rid of any "oxidized" metal so rust does'nt start. Keep in mind that the rust paint is formulated to go over BARE and RUSTED METAL, so like i said before if you can't sleep at night because u did'nt use primer or epoxy sealer then do it, but it's just a waste of time in my opinion. The 74 orange beetle was done 6 yrs ago, goes in the rain, i've put 35,000mi on the car and i have no issues with any rust at all, and there is a little bondo on it but no holes before paint. as for getting it smooth i would just use a fine grain bondo, try to keep the layers down, the thinner the better, just enough to make it straight, and block sand the bondo to get it arrow straight, then go straight to paint, hope that helps....