Quote:

My wife spotted 2 gallons of the tintable base professional hidden behind the rest on the bottom shelf (irony?) so I snapped em up...

It's not often I need to quote myself, but in this case I do. Hopefully this might clear things up a bit as I was mistaken in my excitement of finding a base tint on the shelf. I did, in fact, find a basecoat: Rustoleum INDUSTRIAL (not Professional as I had thought) ENAMAL 7307 Masstone Tint Base, to be exact. I went searching on Rustleum's website but could not find it. What I did find was the 7400 series INDUSTRIAL ENAMAL, and as best I can tell, it's the same paint (or at least the latest version of same). As for tinting, the site does say this:

"Rust-Oleum Industrial Enamel Tint Base High Gloss Finishes are general purpose, modified alkyd tint bases designed for interior and exterior surfaces. They have excellent resistance to general weathering, mild chemical fumes and light abrasion.

These tint bases are designed to be used with Rust-Oleum Tint System 2020 Series Colorants only. The product is intended for application only after the addition of a colorant."

So... the good news is it appears to be an alkyd enamal (modified) paint, which if I have ready the thread right, is closest to what Tremclad is. The big unknown is whether or not the Home Depot has this "Rust-Oleum Tint System 2020 Series Colorants" on site. One would THINK they would, since they carry the paint. But I'm not holding my breath on that. Unfortunately my experience with these big home improvement chain stores is that thier personnel seem to range from excellent to oblivious. Guess I'll just have to hold onto my reciept on this one till I get someone who knows what they're talking about.