Quote:

Quote:

My white paint has had a month to cure and still scrapes off. There is no way this stuff will hold up to normal driving, so I'm going to have to sand it all off and try again.

Rustoleum says that there is no difference between California paints and other paints, they also say there is minimal difference in tremclad, but nothing that would make it less scratch resistant. Their tech claims that it scratches off of the surface because it hasn't cured fully (month is more than enough he says), or the surface wasn't prepped properly (they say no more than 120grit. He also said that even if the paint wasn't compatible with the primer or paint underneath it, as long as it was sanded with 120 or less, then it should bond and not scrape off.

I sanded mine with 80-100-150 before paint and gave it a month to dry. There is no difference in hardness in 1 week vs 1 month from what I can tell.

I'll try the professional paint and see how that goes, although he said the onyl difference is how fast it dries.

That's too bad Jagd. I would think that sanding with nothing finer than 120 would leave a very poor looking surface on a car. The 1st pro. test area I did, I can put a scratch into it if I push hard, but can't scrape it off. That's been over a month drying.

There are still a couple more weeks of 70+ degree temps for it to cure, then I'll give it a final scratch test and go from there. As long as I'm doing a good job on the bodywork, I have to say it's crossed my mind to shell out the 500 and have Miracle or Maaco shoot it with a single stage and not have to worry about scratches or shine.

This morning while walking my dog, I met a neighbor of mine with a few mopars, and one was a 67 Satellite or Belvedere that he just had painted with a BC/CC job, around 5 grand with a fair amount of bodywork. It sure looked sweet, and the shine on that thing is making me reconsider rolling my car with Rustoleum- I know a 500 Maaco/Miracle job isn't going to look as good as BC/CC but it would be closer than rustoleum in my personal experience..

Well, i dunno man, i'm too far into to stop. I'm gonna finish this and see how it turns out. If its bad then i'll just sand it down again and have MAACO do a worse job. Some maacos not all, but i think the one around my area is pretty lame. And i aint dishin out 1 GRAND plus for a paint job.