Hello, well I tried to scratch/gouge the Tremclad paint of the top of the can, as well as the overspill on the label, no such luck. On the rim of the can,where the paint was thick, I was able to scratch it off, and it felt softer where it was thicker. On my test piece,I COULD NOT SCRATCH/GOUGE PAINT WITH MY FINGER NAILS",I was able to scratch the paint with a sharp screwdriver, as well I dragged my 3 year olds plastic snow shovel against the whole test area and only made minor impressions into the paint. So this has been my experience with the Tremclad paint trials. As you can see this paint is tough. I spoke with a professional house painter the other day and asked him if he ever used Tremclad in his work. This is what he told me, that he used the tremclad many times in his work, that he even painted the exterior metal storm doors in his own house a few years ago, and they still look great, have not faded nor are they peeling due to adhesion problems. I am not trying to promote Tremclad for the Rustoleum Corporation, but hopefully what I am sharing may be of use to some of you guys considering using this paint on your cars. All the best C38coupe