Quote:

Hi, i have been following this thread for a while...someone on MR2OC was talking about this 50 bucks paint job and he actually tried it...

so i first started with my friend's 280z..
and now i am working on my mr2..

here are some questions:
1.how come i keep getting bumpy surface after each coat? (the paint is so not smooth)
2.i already did about 6 coats to it, wet sand every 2 coats...so i tried going high grit wet sand and buff it with turtle polishing compound..it comes out with so little reflection and is not shiny at all...(i am painting black)..whys that?
3.has anyone tried to apply clear on it? and just wet sand and buff just like a sprayed paint job?

Sounds like you're either not using enough mineral spirits or you're putting too much of the mixture on each time. Each time I've tried with the correct mixture (very thin) and applying it very thin - just 'wetting' the surface, it has dried totally smooth, no orange peel. The wetsanding was to get rid of the imperfections mostly.

When you look at the surface really close, can you see lots of tiny scratches? That would explain the lack of shine. I have had some luck using either swirl mark remover or a stronger polishing compound, it will get rid of those tiny scratches and should shine better.

Here is a pic of those microscratches in sunlight. These are from 1500 grit wetsanding. Next time I'll finish with 2000 after the last coat, then go with polishing compound. This surface did not shine well unless at an angle. I painted over this particular area, but on another similar area I did get a better shine by applying some fast cut compound by hand (by machine would have worked much better, but even by hand I could see a difference).