Tremclad sells clear coat, that's uv resistant, ect.....and works over the paint, tremclad sent me a case of the stuff because when they called me they asked about the clear coat, and i said i might consider using it, i told them i tried to use it but it was no better than the paint shine, they asked me if i used mineral spirits, and i said yes, and they said that's my problem, and told me i should use laquir thinner and it will be really shiny. they said the reflective properties of the clear coat is 90% at 60*deg angle (they reflect light at 60*deg and it reflects 90% of the light!!!), which is really really shiny. some clearcoats like the auto motive ones i don't think are a good idea to go over the paint we're using.

EXIT1965 - clearly there is something different with the paint you're using. it must be a cali thing, cause everyone else is reporting that there is no way to scratch the paint, including me. regarding the cheap-o paint jobs, i'd really stay away from the cheap-o BC/CC, they just use the cheapest materials possible to get the cost down, and there could be issues down the road with peeling, ect....just go for a quality single stage, trust me on this one. if you're going to let a body shop do it, then go single stage, unless your prepeared to pay $2000+, and that's if you prep the car. one other thing, if you prep and primer the car they will never fix any problems with the paint down the road, because they say you prepped the car and they're not responisble. i played that game once, be warned, usually they won't touch the car if you prepped it. another alternative is to just spray paint (single stage) in your garage, i sprayed the 71 beetle (midnight blue metalic) in my garage, and allthough the paint is very good in quality, and the job looks like a pro job, if you look really closely you'll see the dust, dirt and hair that is virtually impossible to avoid unless you have a booth, but if your carefull, meticliously clean, you can pull of a pro job in your garage like i have. i used duplicolor single stage process paints, really good material that's cheap. i'll never spray again, i wish i could get you some tremclad paint, i thought you'd be the first sucess story, i'm positive that you'd be happy with the tremclad stuff. maybe go to another state and get the paint of call the rustoleum people and ask them what's up with your paint, don't tell them your painting a car, just say it can be scratched off, and see what they say, if their as nice as the tremclad guys here, they'll send you more paint.