...the best i can describe it is, that "orange peel" reminds me of wood that has been infested with termites. When I try to wet sand, this stuff is impossible to sand out (it's so deep in the finish). When I try to use the polishing compound, the cavities that you see shine brighter because it is paint that hasn't been sanded at all (it's so much further down level-wise than the rest of the paint).

I think I may have the solution, but I want you guys opinion:

1.) I think I may have had the paint too thick on each of the six layers. The bubbles seemed to stay longer than what I gathered from others postings and although the paint did settle some, it tended to get "tacky" with a considerable amount of "orange peel" still in it.

2.) I did not sand the "orange peel" completely out between coats...should I? I basically just sounded it down a bit and went with another coat thinking the final wet-sanding would probably take care of the rest. Again, should I take out ALL of the "orange peel" between coats??

I have sanded the trunk lid down and basically started again. Believe it or not, it took getting most of the paint off to finally get all of the "orange peel"...ridiculous!!

I just about gave it up today, but I am gonna give it some more time. It seems to be working so well for some of you guys. Hope you can help me...thanks in advance, Chuck