Quote:

do you have to get all the scratches from the sandpaper out before you start to paint, or will the paint eventually cover them up? I ask this because I wasn't happy with what I had done, so I decided to start over. I think I used a too aggressive sandpaper and left scratches that I didn't notice (probably because I was in a hurry to get started again). Anyway, I got the consistency of the paint down now, but there are scratches that I can see through the first two coats. Do I need to take it back down and get all the scratches out? I'm guessing yes, but hoping no. Thanks

fine hair line scratches will be gone about the 3rd coat, just try to get it smooth when laying the paint. wetsand only enough to have a smooth surface before going to the next coat, but the paint does "fill" in the small really tiny scratches very well.

bakuryu - STEP AWAY FROM THE PAINTGUN, GO DOWN TO YOUR KNEES AND KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS, PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!!!!
lol, your big mistake here, which i've said about a million times is that your not doing a test area until you get the "hang" of it. so in essence you've created more work for yourself, plus with no previous expirence your definetly going to have a HUGE mess if you decide to spray. the color you chose is a really dark color, might i suggest you get some bright red??? haha, it's up to you, you could sand down the whole car until it's completely smooth, then ONLY DO THE HOOD until your satisified you've got the hang of it. i think you've painted at both extreems, first way too thick, then you went to the other extreeme and thinned it way too much, try in between, when sanding do the edges last, keeping light pressure, stay away from the body lines until the end, and then be carefull not to sand too much. i really think your getting fustrated because you're doing the whole car at once as a expirement, and seeing that you've made a few mistakes along the way which is the natural learning curve, but you've created alot more work for yourself. honestly if it were me, i would choose a brighter color, white is the best for hiding flaws, i'd sand the whole car down, choose a lighter color, expirement on the hood, then do the whole car, mix your ratio's in between your first coats and your final coats, avoid the temptation to lay the paint on too thick. good luck hang in there, don't give up, after your done with a nice job you'll be happy and will have learned from your mistakes.