At some point I felt I clicked back on page two of this thread. I believe there is a new understanding nationwide based on science that we're looking at a battle.
I check a resource regularly, Ckick <- that leads me to believe that California's sheltering is making a difference.
California holds approximately 12% of the nations population and has an infection rate of about 4 1/2%, approximately 1/3 the national avarage. The numbers are possibly skewed by fewer/pending test results but not enough to substantially change the %'s. On the three occasions I've ventured out since the stay/distance directives have emerged I have noticed less people about and also more respect of others. On the map on the link it's graphically shown that several counties have no cases, further down the page are graphs that shed hope the curve is flattening here. The tide is not turned, because each day's numbers are added onto the previous day becoming a larger number of sick, soon more and more recoveries will truly bring the curve down. Repeat this across the nation and only then will we recover. Should we not stay the course these numbers will slowly then quickly revert to a steep piling on.