Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
All this stuff about death rates this year vs last year - help me understand.

Are you trying to make a point that COVID-19 is not real (like some kind of conspiracy theory)?

If that's the case, then is it normal for some areas to set up temporary morgues or use refrigerated semi trailers to store all the dead bodies, like some of the reports I have read? Is it normal to have to send a US military hospital ship to certain places to help with hospital overload? If not normal, then why are we asking about death rates? It doesn't make sense.

I dunno, I tend to be somewhat logical in my thinking, and some of the stuff I read from time to time seems 'way out there', as if to prove some kind of point that isn't even clear.

It makes sense if you're trying to understand what is happening. Here in Oregon where I live the average death rate is around 100 per day. This year with the virus the death rate has increased to roughly 101 or 102 per day. That is useful information if you own a business in Oregon.

It's interesting, but seems complicated to compare a time when everything is shut down vs usual times when everybody is active. It seems like in 'normal' times, if suddenly everybody stayed indoors and kept to themselves, then deaths would go down. Heck, there would even be less flu, common colds, etc. going around. Plus, with nobody driving there would be no deaths from car accidents. Less industrial accidents with less people working. Perhaps 'natural' deaths would be the same, but everything else would theoretically stop.

What I am trying to understand is why people seem to be doubting that there is something unusual about this virus, like it's all some sort of state-driven conspiracy theory designed to control their lives. IMHO, no politician of any stripes wants to shut down their economy as it creates great difficulties for everybody, from those who follow it, to those who have to manage it. And, even if it were some kind of crazy nutjob conspiracy that came true, it must be a conspiracy that the whole entire world is in on. Cripes, we can't get governments to agree on almost anything, so why would the entire world go lock-step on something like this if there weren't some necessity to it?

I dunno... logically it doesn't stand up.